Dry Cleaning carpets at home
- Thoroughly vacuum all areas you plan to clean. Vacuuming helps remove dry soil from the carpet and makes cleaning easier.
- Start with an empty vacuum cleaner bag.
- Vacuum slowly and thoroughly. Pay special attention to high traffic areas such as entrances, hallways and in front of favorite furniture.
- If there are high traffic areas, tough spots or greasy, oily dirt within the 10′ x 10′ area of carpet, pre-spray with Pre-Clean.
- Hold bottle waist-high and lightly mist Pre-Clean, using only 4 pumps per 3′ x 3′ area (do not use more than this; more is not better).
- Allow Pre-Clean to sit on carpet for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Turn box upright and snip open the foil bag.
- Apply about 9 handfuls of HOST to the 10′ x 10′ area of carpet.
- Apply more on spots and spills and in high traffic areas (entranceways, hallways, in front of favorite furniture) and less in areas where people don’t walk.
- Avoid applying to areas where there is no soil such as along walls or in corners.
- Remember, only apply HOST to one 10′ x 10′ area at a time so the cleaning ingredients remain active.
CAUTION: Persons with unusual skin sensitivity should protect hands and arms from direct contact. Persons having respiratory ailments should avoid using in unventilated, confined areas.
- Unwrap cord and plug machine into wall outlet (110 volt).
- Place one foot on the edge of the tray. With hand near the base of the handle, lift the machine up and out of the tray.
- Move the handle lock, found at the base of the handle, to the “Unlock” position.
- To operate, squeeze the lever underneath the top of the handle. To lock the machine in the “on” position, slide the button on the top of the handle over while squeezing the lever.
CAUTION: Test the HOST Dry-Clean Machine in an inconspicuous area of the carpet. Some soft texture carpets may fuzz when brushed. If texture distortion occurs, do not use.
Brush HOST through carpet
- Start in one corner of the 10′ x 10′ area and move sideways across the area using push /pull strokes to create an overlapping “W” pattern.
- At the end of the row, step back to start a second row. Move sideways back across the area, overlapping about half of the first row. Continue brushing the entire 10′ x 10′
area this way.
- Turn 90° to face across the area. Using the same technique as in the 1st pass, brush the 10′ x 10′ area completely.
- Turn 90° again back to the first position and brush the 10′ x 10′ area completely a third time.
- Tip: Occasionally tap the hood of the machine with your foot to release any HOST which may have gathered under it.
- Tip: Heavily soiled traffic areas and tough spots may require some extra care. Apply more HOST to these areas and brush again. The more brushing you do, the better the results will be. With the HOST Dry Carpet Cleaning System, you don’t have to worry about overwetting the carpet.
Wait about an hour, then vacuum
- Wait until HOST is completely dry (about an hour) and then simply vacuum.
- HOST will lighten to a pale gold color as it dries.
- Since HOST is all natural and safe for people and pets, you can use your room while it’s drying.
- After vacuuming, a trace of HOST may remain in the carpet. This cleaner will not harm your carpet and will be removed with subsequent vacuuming.
- If you notice a lot of HOST remaining, check your vacuum cleaner bag. Change the bag if it’s more than 1/2 full and vacuum again.
- After cleaning, if you have HOST left over, close foil bag tightly to maintain freshness and store in a cool, dry place.
- Vacuum stairs before cleaning.
- Remove the long handle from the HOST Dry-Clean Machine by lifting the small lever at the base of the handle and pulling
the handle up and out.
- Start at the top of the stairs and work down.
- If stairs are extremely dirty, mist each with HOST Pre-Clean first.
- Apply one handful of HOST per stair.
- To operate the machine, squeeze the lever underneath the lower handle and guide the machine across the stairs.
- Make 3 passes as described in Step 5 “Brush HOST Through the Carpet.”
- Wait until HOST is completely dry (about an hour) and then simply vacuum
Special carpets and rugs may require extra care when cleaning. If you are cleaning wool, Berber, natural fibers or delicate rugs follow these steps:
- Test for color fastness: Take a small amount of HOST and brush it through the carpet with your fingertips in an inconspicuous area. If color transfers or changes, do not use.
- Wool or Wool Berber: HOST Dry Carpet Cleaner carries the WoolSafe seal of approval. When cleaning wool it is normal to experience some shedding, but avoid aggressive brushing as it can cause wool to fuzz.
- Cleaning wool Berber can be a challenge because it is even more susceptible to fuzzing and texture distortion. To avoid, brush only in the direction of the rows of loops, not across the loops. Or, call us at 800-558-9439 for a HOST Professional Cleaner near you.
Synthetic Berber (olefin or nylon):
- These fibers may require additional brushing, but if any texture distortion occurs, stop!
- For easier removal of HOST from synthetic Berber, brush carpet again with the HOST Dry-Clean Machine to loosen dried HOST from the looped fibers before vacuuming.
- Delicate Rugs (Oriental, Chinese, Persian, etc.): These rugs are often made with wool or silk fibers. When brushing, be aware of the texture, do not brush aggressively. Be careful when brushing near rug edges, do not brush fringe.
- Test for texture distortion: Test the HOST Dry-Clean Machine in an inconspicuous area of the carpet or rug. If any texture distortion occurs, do not use. Note that aggressive brushing may also cause texture distortion.
- Natural Fibers (sisal, coir, jute, sea grass, etc.): Natural fibers are very absorbent so permanent discoloration from spots, spills and liquids may occur. Note that the color of these fibers may be affected by any type of cleaning.
CAUTION: If the machine stops while in use, call or return machine to the HOST dealer. Do not try to repair.
When using an electrical machine, basic precautions should always be followed:
- Use only as described in this manual.
- Do not leave machine when plugged in. Turn off all controls before unplugging. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before servicing.
- Do not use outdoors or on wet surfaces.
- Do not use with damaged cord or plug. If machine is not working as it should, has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors, or dropped into water, return it to the HOST dealer.
- Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as handle, close door on cord, or pull cord around sharp edges or corners. Do not run machine over cord.
- Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug, grasp the plug, not the cord.
- Do not handle plug or machine with wet hands.
- Do not turn on machine with storage tray still attached.
- Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers and all parts of body away from machine openings and moving parts. Do not place fingers or other body parts under machine.
- The use of an extension cord is not recommended.